Monday 12 January 2009

Why I don't give a fuck what you think

This month saw the launch of the Atheist Bus campaign. It is a worldwide campaign placing free-thinking slogans on the side of buses, and thanks to some effective fundraising, on posters too.

It has drawn some pretty passionate responses.

Some people think it is a wonderful idea, that we should do everything in our power to point out the logical fallacies inherent to organised religion. Some people think that it is the Devil's work and those responsible will burn in hell.

Either way it has provoked some fairly impressive reactions.

Will it do what it is supposed to though?

I doubt it.

What does this have to do with WMA I hear you ask.

Well if you hold on for just a moment longer you will see where I am going.

The atheist bus campaign is designed to make people think about the fact that there might not be a God. It has a specific goal, and that goal is conversion to atheism. I very much doubt that it will achieve anything of the sort.

I'm different.

I have a goal but I don't give a shit what you think.

Unlike the atheist bus campaign I don't expect, or even want, you to agree with me.

Personally I think that what I say is pretty basic stuff. It is simple fact dressed up in fancy language in order to get your attention.

But why would I want your attention if I don't give a shit what you think?

A good question.

I couldn't give a flying fuck what you think about what I say, as long as (and here's the catch) you do think about what I say.

As soon as you close your mind to other opinions then you lose every advantage that being a practitioner of HEMA gives you. Because our art is new we have to be able to back up our ideas with evidence. We have to be open to other ideas. We have to constantly test both our technique and our interpretations in every possible way. Only whilst we are still striving to prove ourselves wrong can we be sure that we are on the right path. As soon as we settle back and choose to stop thinking then we might as well pack in and go home.

So I don't care if you think I am a twat (yes Herbert I am talking to you) as long as you don't stop thinking about what you do. As long as you don't assume that I cannot have anything to offer because I am a twat. Sometimes the truth comes to us through the strangest medium.

I also don't care if you think I am intelligent, witty, and insightful. As long as you question what I say.

So perhaps I do have an agenda after all.

Perhaps I too am an atheist bus.

After all, you wait ages for an atheist bus and then 800 come along at once.

6 comments:

Baskethilt Broadsword boy said...

Oh Shite...

I agree.

Hemaboy said...

Shhh, don't tell anyone.

Anonymous said...

Well, Hemaboy, you raised a few points here.

First my usual disagreement: The campain wasn't meant to converse people to atheism. Read what the organisators of the campaign have to say. Bad journalism what you do here...

But on to the important thing:
You care what people think because you react to the comments and you try to prove your point. Thats not bad.
You want to make yourself heard - not bad either.
You want us to think about what we do - good thing.
I agree wholeheartedly about your notion that we have to prove our point, be open to alternative interpretaions and to put our ideas and doings to the test as often as possible. I try to follow this route and while it is not always easy or comforting it is always rewarding.

I just fear that you don't follow you own advice here. Did you put your blogs to the test wether they are correct or wether there are other opinions.

It is easy to say: "stay open minded" and then go on and say: I am not in the least interested what others think or say...as you did in the past.

I still don't know who you are, but I think you started to change a bit in your blog. At least thats what I hope. Maybe it is just wishful thinking.

So - I agree with some points you brought up here but I am a bit puzzled as I don't see you follow them.

Anyway, I will keep on reading your blog. Exactly because of the reason you give: to keep my mind open, see other viewpoints and maybe to disagree with you where I think it is necessary.


Herbert
Ars Gladii
www.arsgladii.at

Anonymous said...

Nice.

B & C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Herbert sucks donkey cock.

-B.

:)