Wednesday 3 December 2008

Debt

With some newspapers predicting UK national debt to be as high as £1 Trillion by 2012 I thought it was time to mention some debts I have.

The Association of Renaissance Martial Arts.

For sharing sources when it was of little benefit to themselves. Yes they keep some to themselves, but many years ago when HEMA was new and shiny www.thehaca.com was the place to go to find manuscripts. For this, and for providing one of the first dedicated discussion forums I thank you.

Swordforum.

I know this may come as a surprise but I feel that what community there is in HEMA exists in part because of Swordforum. It took the baton from the ARMA forum and ran with it. It was a place for open, frank, and informative discussion. The fact that it no longer is, does not change the fact that it was once the place to be. For this I thank you.

Steve Hick

For spending years searching out new sources and putting them out there for all to see. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that this man has had more influence on HEMA as a whole than anyone else. For this I thank you.

This is not an exhaustive list, there are many people I have not mentioned. Matt Galas, Fabrice Cognot, Matt Easton to name but a few. There are also websites aplenty who help others with no obvious benefit to themselves www.sirwilliamhope.org, www.the-exiles.org.uk and www.aemma.org spring instantly to mind but there are numerous others.

These debts may not have a financial value, but they are huge non the less.

No comments: