Saturday 25 October 2008

Beyond comprehension

When I was at junior school we used to do something called "comprehension". It was pretty simple stuff, you read a short piece of writing and then answered some basic questions on it in order to show that you had understood what it was that you had just read.

I suspect this sounds familiar to a lot of you.

However this basic skill seems to be beyond the capacity of a large number of WMA practitioners.

Take for example the recent comment on my post "A Victory" by Baskethit (sic) Broadsword boy. Now let's ignore the fact that he cannot tell the difference between "your" and "you're" and look at the line "BTY, what your problem with Page?"

Leaving aside the somewhat maverick approach to grammar let's just focus on the question.

I have mentioned Page it is true. In the post entitled "Removed post 2" I wrote the following paragraph:

"We have Stephenpaul Wagnerhand, the amorphous Australian duo who have so far managed to get I.33 wrong, Silver wrong and are currently working on getting the collected medieval English manuscripts wrong. Did I mention Page?"

I was initially thrown as I didn't think I had expressed any problems with Page. But perhaps I had implied something without realising it. I read it again No, there was still nothing more than a clear implication that Stephenpaulwagnerhand have yet again got it wrong, but nothing related to a problem with Page's system.

The reason that there is nothing related to me having a problem with Page's system is simple.

I don't have a problem with Page's system.

I do have a problem with the interpretation demonstrated by Stephenpaulwagnerhand.

I also have a problem with anyone claiming that what Page shows is "Highland Broadsword" when there is some clear evidence (you will note I use the word evidence, not the word proof, they are not the same thing) that it is not. I am referring of course to the excellent essay by Bethan Jenkins that you can read here.

What fills me with a sense of sadness approaching despair is the fact that the same people who cannot read and understand simple English, are the ones trying to recreate dead arts from the written word. We need more people like Bethan Jenkins if we are to stand a chance.

As to "Baskethit Broadsword Boy", well he should never have progressed beyond comprehension.

11 comments:

Baskethilt Broadsword boy said...

Well you do have me there, I posted in utmost haste and failed to check
spelling and grammar.

I'm quite fond of Page and have my very own interpretation that differs from Paul Wagner (as to the best of my knowledge Steve has not worked on Page). As for Bethan Jenkins, I'm a big fan of her work. She filled in a lot of gaps for me on who T. Page really is/ was, but I don't agree with of all her conclusions... but I truly respect her research into this.

Now...

Why did I post in the first place? Easy. There was no victory,
David Rawlings can stay, Scott Brown was given a route to return, which it seems he chose not to.

Victory? They cut and ran... just to appear to be martyrs.

Maybe you're right. I find the action of David Rawlings, Scott Brown and the hate that some of the UK HEMA members have for us Yanks "Beyond comprehension"

Really...

Please see my blog on "Why can't we all get along" to see how I feel about this.

TTFN

Baskethilt Broadsword boy said...

While my writing style is a bit unorthodox, I do work from a number of recognized later Highland sword manuals.

I know my misuse of the "English" language gives you great pain, but it's okay as most of the period UK backsword manuals I work from can't spell words the same way twice.

It must give me a bit of a edge being an illiterate Yank when working from such text.

I do look forward to the day we cross swords in a salle for a bit of fun free play.

Cheerio Mate!

HemaGoth said...

You're right, there was no victory. SFI has lost contributors, I doubt I'll ever put my words there or ask questions because of that incident.
I'd like you to note, I'm new to this- I barely know any of the parties involved and I am merely looking at the actions of an ambassador and peacekeeper of a forum.

Are you sure it is hate for 'you Yanks' as you so put it? I have explained in measured tones why I think the latest SFI incident is beyond contempt. Maybe that will help your comprehension. In my limited experience, I have found the American scene wasting time 'proving themselves' and the European scene open and relaxed.

This is something I have noticed about American goths as well... So, maybe it is a cultural thing.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words Mr. Hemaboy. Though I must insist that I only really saw what was already there. And as someone much wiser than I said, "If I have seen a little further than other men, it is because I have been standing on the shoulders of giants."

Hemaboy said...

Ms Jenkins, you are too humble. You may be simply standing on the shoulders of giants, but not many are able to scale those heights. It is a rare skill to be able to see what is there, find the connections, and reach objective conclusions. Keep up the good work.

Baskethilt Broadsword boy said...

Hello Hemaboy,

First let me say, I launched my blog in great haste, while pissed (in the UK use of the term)and treated you in a most impolite manner.

I have since edited my first blog to remove that insult.

For those actions I'm quite sorry.

From now on I shall keep my blog to what I know are facts and to promote working together.

I do wish we all could get along in the WMA world... really.

Please take a moment to read my latest blog on Perception.

Cheers

Hemaboy said...

No apology necessary, all thoughts and comments are welcome. If me doing this helps other people to start blogging about their thoughts on HEMA then we are all winners.

Anonymous said...

As a Yank myself, I find it troubling that people are interpreting this as a U.S. vs. U.K. thing as that seems to imply that SFI is representative of the American HEMA community. In truth, there are large portions of the U.S. community who don't bother with the place anymore for the exact reasons that Hemaboy and company have laid out. Hell, I gave money to help keep the site running years ago and now I can't read it without risk of an aneurysm.

I do agree with Hemagoth that the Euro scene does appear to be mostly free of such pretentious trappings. Perhaps they simply understand that if you don't want to be ridiculed, then you shouldn't make yourself ridiculous.

HemaGoth said...

Perhaps they simply understand that if you don't want to be ridiculed, then you shouldn't make yourself ridiculous.

Teach me enough so I don't embarrass myself and I will fight you and happily argue until we get thrown out of the pub.

Baskethilt Broadsword boy said...

Hello Anonymous Yank,

While some might think all I want to do is light some incense, hold hands and sing "Kumbaya my sword,Kumbaya" from reading my blog, I understand the fact that there are a number of rifts
within the WMA world in every country in the world (along with those in EMA).

It's not just a US vs UK thing or even a US vs the EU...

It's just as a "outsider" visiting some of the forums on the other side of the world, posts there seem to imply such a division. But my impression could be wrong due to not having access to information used to generate the "offending"
post in the first place.

We are all human, we all have egos and the internet has make some well known who don't deserve it and there are others who are unknown because they choose not to be a part of the WWW.

I've met such a Fencing instructor... 30 years ago while pursuing a BS in History with a minor in fencing, this man worked up his own interpretations of Meyer,some of the Italian tomes, read Silver and many others British works.

He made his living teaching fencing, both modern & classical along with making custom knives and swords. He would teach his interpretation of the Italian rapier and arming sword to those who wished to learn.

He was teaching WMA in the 80's, years ahead of most of us here.

I never had a interest in modern fencing, any of the Italian stuff or in the use of the rapier, so I made the mistake of never training with this man. My fellow Page instructor was much more intelligent and trained with this man in every thing he could offer.

This unknown WMA pioneer is now retired from teaching fencing and no longer lives in my frozen land.

But his work lives on in my fellow
instructor and he now passes it on to the next generation.

TTFN

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr Teague, Or shall I say Baskethilt Broadsword boy.